Self-Care for the Therapist: Special End of Year Workshop: Nov 2019
November 22 @ 9:00 am - 5:30 pm$300.00
Review the year in style this November at the Vibe Hotel Rushcutters Bay, Sydney. Reflect upon your role as a mental health professional, your level of professional satisfaction and ‘need fulfillment’ and any areas for moderation or change.
As therapists who work in the arena of people’s emotions and personal suffering, we need to prioritize our own well-being to ensure our professional longevity.
In this workshop we examine ‘self-care’ as a personal imperative and explore how our own schemas and coping styles, influence how we work as therapists, the way we deal with the challenges of the work and any barriers to self-care.
Burnout has been described as “the single most common personal consequence of practicing therapy” and research shows that ‘therapist-factors’ (such as schemas) pose some of the most important risk factors for burnout and psychological distress.
The workshop also incorporates the recent developments in compassion research and examines how we can use these approaches in a practical way to reduce empathic distress and take better care of ourselves inside and outside of the therapy room.
- Recognising signs of burnout, ‘empathy fatigue’ and vicarious trauma.
- Therapist risk factors, including schemas and their role in chronic stress and the development of burnout symptoms.
- Common therapist schemas and the role of personal schemas on work stress, work-life balance and decision making.
- ‘In-session’ self-care, managing therapist stress levels and empathic distress, including practical strategies for safeguarding yourself in sessions.
- Empathy vs compassion, self-compassion practices and compassionate responding to reduce empathy fatigue.
- Mindfulness and Metta meditation practices to encourage self-reflection, self-acceptance and to foster the psychological conditions compatible with self-care.
This workshop is suitable for therapists at any stage of their career. It will be a great opportunity to meet like-minded colleagues, make new connections, share ideas and obtain peer-support. Enjoy a glass or two of wine with friendly conversation to top off the day!
What’s included in this one-day workshop?
- Tea & coffee available all day
- Morning tea
- Lunch – buffet served in the Storehouse Restaurant
- Wine & Cheese – after the workshop enjoy a drink and chat with friends and colleagues with fruit and cheese platters
- Workshop notes & resources
- Self-care lucky door prizes – just for fun!
- 6 CPD Points
PLEASE NOTE – BOOKING INSTRUCTIONS:
- Put the number of tickets you wish to purchase in the ‘Tickets’ box (eg, 1) – before pressing ‘Add to cart’.
- We accept Credit Card payments or PayPal. Simply click on your preferred option in the checkout.
- Contact us by email or phone (0422 929 466) if you have any problems.
One flat price for this event $300 PLUS GST.
Review the year in style this November at the Vibe Hotel Rushcutters Bay, Sydney. Reflect upon your role as a mental health professional, your level of professional satisfaction and ‘need fulfillment’ and any areas for moderation or change. Workshop Description: As therapists who work in the arena of people’s emotions and personal suffering, we need […]
Workshop Description: Grief is an inescapable experience inherent in the human condition. The majority of clients presenting for mental health concerns or interpersonal problem are also carrying some degree of unprocessed loss, whether in the form of specific bereavements or as integral components of other difficult life experiences (eg, early abandonments / trauma). It is […]
THE RETREAT (ONSITE ACCOMMODATION) IS NOW FULLY BOOKED. HOWEVER THERE IS AN OPTION FOR ATTENDING THE RETREAT BUT BOOKING YOUR OWN ACCOMMODATION IN BUNDANOON. PLEASE CONTACT ME BY EMAIL TO CHECK AVAILABILITY. This retreat, run over 2-days in a peaceful setting in Bundanoon, provides participants with an opportunity to go a little deeper into […]